JSP Page
About Us
General Information
Vehicle Registration
Road Tax
Driving License
Pollution Control

1. What is the penalty for not having the pollution certificate?

;Any vehicle, not carrying a valid PUC Certificate is liable to be prosecuted under Section 190(2) of the Motor Vehicles Act.  A penalty of Rs.1000/- for first offence and Rs.2000/- for every subsequent offence of violation has been provided.

2. Where should I get my vehicle pollution level checked?

;Licensed Auto Emission Centers have computerised facilities for checking of pollution levels and issue of Pollution Under Control Certificates (to vehicles that meet the emission standards set in rule 115 of CMVR). Such centers are available at many petrol Stations or workshops. These authorised emission testing centers (AETC) are spread all over the State. Theses centers issue Pollution Under Control Certificates (PUC) if the vehicle is found meeting prescribed emission norms which includes photo of the vehicle. In case the vehicle is found polluting beyond prescribed norms, necessary repairs/ tuning in the vehicle would be required. The vehicle will have to be retested after necessary repairs.

3. What happens if my vehicle is found visibly polluting although I am carrying a valid PUC certificate?

;The PUC Certificate of your vehicle shall be cancelled and you will be directed as per provisions of the rule 116 of CMVR to get the vehicle repaired, retested and to produce a fresh PUC Certificate within seven days.  The failure to comply with this direction would result in prosecution under section 190(2) of the Motor Vehicles Act.

4 When does a vehicle require a PUC Certificate and for what period?

;After the expiry of period of one year from the date of first registration, every motor vehicle is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate and the same is valid for six months at a time.

5. My vehicle is BS-II / BS-III compliant. Do I need to obtain a PUC Certificate?

;As per Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, every motor vehicle (including those conforming to BS-II / BS-II, as well as, vehicles plying on LPG) is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate after the expiry of period of one year from the date of its first registration.

6. Who can direct my vehicle to be tested for pollution emission?

;Any officer of the transport department not below the rank of Motor Vehicles Inspector can issue such direction.

JSP Page
Designed & Developed by : National Informatics Centre