- What happens if I forget to renew my licence?
You can renew it within 5 years from the date of its expiry. Penalty for late renewal is charged after the first 30 days of expiry. But remember that driving with an expired licence is an offence.
If an accident occurs after the expiry of your Driving Licence, the Insurance Company will not provide the compensation and you will also be at fault in the Eyes of the Law.
- Why do you need a Driving Licence?
As per Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a valid Driving Licence is necessary to drive any motor vehicle on public roads.
- Where do you get it?
At the Regional Transport Office or Motor Vehicles Inspector's Office, having jurisdiction over your reside
- When do you get it?
After completion of 16 years of age, for driving motor cycles with engine capacity not exceeding 50cc with the consent of the parent / guardian. After completion of 18 years of age, motor cycles with engine capacity exceeding 50cc and light motor vehicle. After completion of 20 years of age, for an endorsement to drive transport vehicles.
- What is the penalty in case of a delay in getting the licence renewed ?
Rs.150/- irrespective of delay but before 5 yrs of its expiry.
- What is the procedure for registration of new vehicle?
After purchasing the vehicle from a dealer:, the applicant shall produce the following application/documents/fees and tax challan
- Application form CMV 20 (signature of the financier in case of HPA/Hypothecation/Lease).
- Sale Certificate in form CMV 21.
- Valid Insurance certificate.
- Proof of Address (Any one of the following )
- Ration Card
- Electoral Roll
- LIC Policy
- Pay slip issued by any office of the Central Government or a State
Government or a Local body.
- Temporary Registration issued by the Registering Authority or Trade Certificate issued by the Dealer.
- Road Worthiness Certificate in form CMV 22.
- Form CMV 22A in case of Body built vehicle (EX. Goods vehicle, bus etc.).
- Customs clearance certificate in case of imported vehicle with licence and bond.
- Prescribed fee amount to be paid at R.T.O Counter/Treasury.
- Tax payable (depending upon the category of vehicle).
- Income Tax clearance certificate in form 60 or a declaration.
- Bonafide agriculture certificate issued by the Tahasildar in case of registration of Tractor-Trailor unit used for agriculture.
- Permit proceedings if any in case of transport vehicle.
All the related applications shall be filed before the Registering Authority and Vehicle shall be produced for inspection in the premises of the R.T.O.
- Is it compulsory to obtain driving training from a Motor Driving School?
No, in case of private or non-commercial vehicles, it is not compulsory.
However, in case of commercial vehicles, it is compulsory because the Motor Driving School has to issue Form No.5 for commercial driving licence.