JSP Page
About Us
General Information
Vehicle Registration
Road Tax
Driving License
Pollution Control

1. Where to approach for vehicle registration?

You have to approach your local motor vehicles office of the Transport Department for registration of your vehicles.

2. What is the procedure for registration of new vehicles?

The registration procedure includes the physical inspection of the vehicle to be registered by the Inspecting Authority at the motor vehicles office for its technical details. Thereafter, the Registering Authority will satisfy himself regarding the set of documents submitted for registration and thereafter shall issue a registration number for that motor vehicle. The documents required to apply for registration are as follows:-

  1. Form 20 duly filled up.
  2. Form 21 (Sale certificate) issued by the vehicle dealer.
  3. Form 22 (Road worthiness certificate) issued by the manufacturer.
  4. Valid vehicle insurance policy/cover note.
  5. Copy of address proof of the owner (along with the original).
  6. Form 34 duly signed by owner and the financier in case vehicle is bought on Hypothecation.
  7. Proof of Garage Address (for Transport vehicles only).
  8. Temporary Registration & related documents, if any.
  9. Offer Letter (for Transport vehicles only).
  10. Any other relevant documents.

Note:  Registration fees will have to be paid at the time of application, which will start the process of registration. The above documents will be kept by the motor vehicle office. The registration fee receipt can be retained by the owner as proof of having made an application for registration. All taxes will have to be paid to complete the process of registration.
The registration certificate in Form – 23 or 23 A, can be collected thereafter.

3. Can dealers deliver vehicle without registration?

No, the dealer cannot deliver unregistered vehicles to the customers. The dealer will have to get the vehicle registered, either temporarily or permanently, in the name of customer first and only then can hand over the vehicle to the customer. If an un-registered vehicle is found plying on the road it will attract prosecution under MV Act. A trade certificate is issued to the dealers by the Transport Department to drive the unregistered vehicles, by their drivers, which are in their control and possession, up to the motor vehicle office for registration purposes.

4. How the transfer of ownership of a vehicle can be done?

The transfer of ownership of a vehicle is to be applied in the concerned motor vehicle office where the vehicle is registered with and the following documents are to be submitted:-

  1. Registration Certificate in original.
  2. Form no.29 duly filled.
  3. Form no.30 duly filled.
  4. Attested Copy of valid insurance certificate (original to be shown).
  5. Attested Copy of address proof of buyer (original to be shown).
  6. Attested Copy of valid Pollution under Control Certificate (original to be shown).
  7. Attested Copy of PAN cards of both the seller and the purchaser.
  8. Prescribed fee.
  9. Attested Copy of tax token.
  10.  Duly filled Form 34 and/or Form 35 in case of hypothecated cases.
  11.  Permits surrender slip from S.T.A./R.T.A. (For commercial vehicles).
  12.  Offer Letter in the name of the buyer (For commercial vehicles).
  13.  Attested Copy of Valid Fitness certificate (For commercial vehicles).

4A. Transfer of ownership in case of death of the registered owner

In such case the application is to be made by the legal heirs of the vehicle with the following set of documents.

  1. Registration certificate in original
  2. Form 31 duly filled along with NOC from financier wherever applicable.
  3. Original copy of death certificate of the registered owner along with attested copy.
  4. Succession Certificate, if any.
  5. Certificate from local MP, MLA or senior government officers to that effect.
  6. Affidavit by the applicant to this effect and also from all other legal heirs who may wish to relinquish their right in favour of the applicant.
  7. Attested copy of address proof of Applicant.
  8. Attested copies of valid PUCC/Insurance Certificate/PAN Card/Tax Token/Certificate of Fitness.
  9.  Prescribed fee.
  10.  Permits surrender slip issued by STA branch (For commercial vehicles).
  11.  Offer Letter in the name of the heir (For commercial vehicles).
  12.  Any other document that may be required by the Registering Authority. 

5. How can the hypothecation be endorsed or deleted?

If a vehicle is purchased on loan from a financier the same should be endorsed in the registration certificate. Similarly when the loan is repaid in full the fact of termination of hypothecation is also required to be endorsed.  The following documents are required for the same:

  1. Registration certificate in original.
  2. Form no.34 duly filled (for endorsement of Hypothecation).
  3. Form no. 35 duly filled (for deletion of Hypothecation) in duplicate.
  4. A certificate from financier for having retained full dues from the financier (for deletion case only)
  5. Copies of valid insurance/pollution under control certificate/tax token.

6.What is the procedure for recording change of address of motor vehicles?

If a registered owner of a vehicle shifts his address as recorded in the Registration Certificate, he must apply for recording of the new address, after obtaining a N.O.C in Form – 28 from the previous registering authority. In cases where such change of address is from one state to another, then the registration number will have to be changed to a local registration number also. The documents required are as under:

  1. Registration Certificate in original.
  2. Form 28 (NOC in duplicate).
  3. Form 27, in case of other state vehicles.
  4. Form 20.
  5. Attested copy of address proof (original to be produced).
  6. Attested copies of valid insurance/pollution under control certificate.
  7. NOC from traffic police or enforcement wing of transport department.
  8. Fitness certificate, in case of transport vehicles.
  9. Tax Token in original.
  10. Garage Address proof (in case of transport vehicle).
  11. N.O.C. from financier, where applicable.

Note: Such registrations of vehicle are subject to clearance from National Crime Record Bureau. In case of Kolkata Metropolitan Area, change of address can be applied in case of BS III compliant vehicles only.

7. What is the procedure for issuing N.O.C for other state?

If a registered owner of a vehicle intends to take his vehicle to some other state & get the new address recorded there, he has to apply for NOC on prescribed form-28. The following required formalities are to be completed.

  1. Application in form 28 (in Quadruplicate).
  2. Original registration certificate.
  3. Evidence of payment of road tax up-to-date.
  4. Valid PUC and Valid Insurance.
  5. NOC from traffic police or enforcement wing of transport department.
  6. Any other document required by Registering Authority.
  7. NOC from financier in case the vehicle is hypothecated.

8. What is the Renewal of Registration of private (non-transport) vehicles?

As per Act registration of any private vehicle is done for a maximum period of 15 yrs. After completion of 15 yrs every registered owner is required to get the registration of his vehicle renewed and following documents are required:

  1. Application in form 25.
  2. Registration certificate in original.
  3. Proof for the payment of up-to-date road tax paid.
  4. Copies of insurance certificate/pollution under control certificate.
  5. Copy of address proof.

The vehicle is to be brought to the local office for inspection of its road worthiness and if the vehicle is found to be fit for use on the roads; the renewal of registration is allowed for a period of five years at a time.

9. What is the procedure for issue of duplicate registration certificate?

Any registered owner can apply for a duplicate registration certificate in cases where the original one is either, lost, damaged or mutilated by submitting the following documents:

  1. Application on form 26 (in duplicate and with the endorsement from the financier, if hypothecated).
  2. Original copy of the F.I.R.
  3. Copies of valid insurance policy/pollution under control certificate/tax token.
  4. NOC from traffic police & Enforcement wing Transport Department.
  5. Affidavit in support of the application.

10. What is temporary registration?

As per the provision of section 43 of the Motor Vehicle Act, temporary registration certificate can be given to a vehicle, in cases where the owner of a vehicle wants to take his vehicle to another jurisdiction for the purpose of permanent registration and also for the purpose of body building. Period of validity of temporary registration made under this section is for one month only.

11. How should one exhibit the registration No.?

All letters of the Registration mark must be in English and the figures must be in Arabic numerals and to be shown as:

  1. In case of transport vehicles, in black on yellow background.
  2. In the case of motor vehicles temporarily registered in red on yellow ground.
  3. In the case of motor vehicles in the possession of dealer in white on a red ground.
  4. In other cases, in black on a white background.

The size of registration mark must not be less than:

Vehicles Height in mm Thickness in mm Space between in mm
For Motor Cycle or Scooters 35 7 5
For All Motor Vehicles 65 10 10

11A. Can I display registration number in local language?

Yes, but, as an additional plate only. The original in English as mentioned above will have to be displayed.

12. Can I alter the motor vehicle?

Under the provisions of section 52 of Motor Vehicle Act, the alteration of Motor Vehicle is allowed after obtaining of prior permission from the registering authority. If any registering authority feels that there are sufficient grounds for such alteration in the vehicle, the permission is granted. The conversion of fuel type is also allowed after the permission is granted. The vehicle will require inspection before the final endorsement.

13. How the transfer of ownership is carried out if the vehicle is purchased in public auctions?

Any person who has acquired a vehicle at a public auction conducted by or on behalf of the state or central Govt. shall apply before the registering authority having jurisdiction, immediately and accompanied by the following documents:

  1. Application in form 32.
  2. Form 20.
  3. Certificate of registration in original, in case of registered vehicle.
  4. Original Sale certificate issued by the Auctioning Authority in favour of the new owner of the vehicle.
  5. The certified copy of the order of the Sate or Central Govt. authority who auctioned the vehicle.
  6. Proof of date of delivery of the vehicle.
  7. Attested copies of insurance in favour of purchaser/pollution under control certificate.
  8. Attested copy (by Gazetted Officer) of address proof.
  9. Registration or Transfer of Ownership fee, as may be applicable.
  10. Any other document as may be required.


The transport vehicles require a valid Certificate of Fitness as well along with the registration certificate. Under the provisions of The M.V. Act, the registration of vehicle is treated as valid only if the vehicle have valid certificate of fitness.

1. How long does the Certificate of Fitness remain valid?

In case of Commercial vehicles the fitness certificates is valid for 2 years in case of a new vehicle and subsequently it is renewed for one year.

2. Where should I approach for certificate of fitness of vehicle?

The motor vehicle office where it is registered or is going to be registered is to be approached. The vehicle will be inspected by Motor Vehicle Inspector at the time of first registration and subsequent fitness for its road worthiness.

3. What are the documents required for renewal of certificate of fitness?

  1. Registration certificate.
  2. Form CFA.
  3. Old C.O.F.
  4. Copies of valid Tax Token/insurance certificate/pollution control certificate.

4. What are the documents required for renewal of registration of Private Vehicles?

  1. Form 25.
  2. Registration certificate
  3. Copies of valid Tax Token/insurance certificate/pollution control certificate.

5. What are the criteria of deciding the fitness of my commercial vehicle?

The vehicle is physically inspected by Motor Vehicles Inspectors for their actual roadworthiness. The vehicles that comply with the following norms are considered to be fit for use on road. Some of the items under the provisions of CMVR, 1989 for testing are:

Sl. No Items
1. Spark plug/Suppressor cap/high tension cables
2. Head lamp beams
3. Other lights
4. Reflectors
5. Bulbs
6. Rear view mirror
7. Safety glass
8. Embossing of chassis E/G
9. Horns
10. Painting
11. Wiper
12. Body
13. Silencer
14. Finishing
15. Road test
16. Dash board equipment
17. Pollution levels
18. Braking system
19. Speedometer
20. Steering gear
21. Others

6. Can my vehicle fitness certificate be cancelled even if the same is valid but the vehicle is found to be unsafe & unsound?

Yes. You have to maintain your vehicle fit and roadworthy through out the year. Having a valid certificate of fitness is not enough.

7. What happens if my vehicle meets with an accident with valid certificate of fitness and also when the same has expired?

the first case mechanical tests will decide whether the vehicle was roadworthy at the time of accident or not. If it is found that the vehicle was unfit for use on road, then the certificate of fitness will automatically stand suspended. You will have to repair the vehicle and produce the same for inspection-cum-restoration of the certificate of fitness on payment of twice the original fee.

In the second instance you will be held responsible for plying vehicle without valid registration and legal actions will be initiated against you.

JSP Page
Designed & Developed by : National Informatics Centre